Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Compassionate Presence

"As we ignore our painful feelings or push them away, they impede our flowing aliveness and obscure the pure awareness that is our source. By not listening to our inner life, we cut ourselves off from reality. What remains is a diminished self, an unreal other.

But when we confide in someone and they listen to us, really listen, the debris naturally begins to dissolve, and the fountain of aliveness is again free to flow. And when we listen, really listen, to another, we help them come home to this same aliveness."
~ True Refuge - Tara Brach

During my ShakeOut massage today, Jeffrey Spratt,MT, Owner and Principal of Spratt Muscular Therapies, LLC and I were talking about the power of the work we are doing together; the power of positive touch combined with compassionate presence.



I shared with him how traumatic memories are coming to the surface now and I can experience them in my body. I can feel Jeffrey's compassionate presence even when I am not in a treatment session, grieve for what happened to me bathing myself in the compassion he exudes when painful memories and emotions surface during a treatment.

"When you sat by me next to my head and massaged my arm and my face telling me to shhh; to let it all go and that I am safe now, I felt as though you were my buddy on the battlefield and that I'd been wounded and you were bringing me comfort...you know like the honor code of leaving no soldier behind."

"I wanted you to know that I'm here for you and you don't have to suffer alone."

He went on to tell me about one of his (and coincidentally my) favorite scenes from the West Wing:



We talked about how, with his compassionate presence, we can go layer by layer to clean out the past so I can bring it all into awareness, allow it to heal and FINALLY let it go.

By the way, there's another episode where Leo is in trouble and there are Congressional hearings trying to out him about his history of alcohol and drug abuse. Leo asks Josh why he is working so hard to help him and Josh says, "You see there was this guy down a hole."

When I worked at the VA as a social worker, my vets used to tell me about how my voice was so filled with love and compassion and it gave them hope. Many of my vets were suicidal and they told me that because of me, they couldn't go through with ending their life. I stay in touch with several of them today.

I had to leave the VA so I could heal my life.

I am incredibly blessed and deeply grateful to Jeffrey for jumping into the hole with me and yes we both know the way out now. We are going to be lighting the way out for many trapped in the grips of the dark hole of trauma with the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy.

With the power of positive touch I am indeed reclaiming my advantage and reclaiming my life. My mind, body and soul are healing and while at times it is an excruciatingly painful process, the pain is tempered by the power of Love and care and compassionate presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment