Sunday, September 6, 2015

Purpose: When the Puzzle Piece Fits - An Exciting Announcement - My New Job


Shortly after being diagnosed with post polio syndrome, a Western Medicine diagnosis that predicted I'd be in a wheelchair by now, I did not feel well enough to go on a trip to NYC with my husband and daughter. They went to see Avenue Q and brought me the CD as a gift when they got home.

The song Purpose screamed out at me! I played it over and over and over again and even blogged about it as I went through different iterations of me seeking my purpose after leaving my award winning career as a social worker at the VA.



You know how when you do a jigsaw puzzle you see a piece that looks like it might be a perfect fit and you try to squeeze it in a little bit to make it fit? Well that's what was happening with me as I explored different options of how to find my purpose later in life.

Part of my purpose was to inspire others with my healing journey; running the 2009 Boston Marathon at the age of 55 after having never run a day in life was no small feat.



And I've published books of inspirational poetry, my memoir and Journey Well all on Amazon. I'm writing, "Going the Distance," my third book in the series of my healing journey which chronicles my recovery from what everyone thought would be a sidelining knee injury to the finish line of my 2nd marathon next October.

I have a Facebook community, Journey Well that motivates, inspires and encourages us all to journey well regardless of external circumstances.

But I knew there was something more....

I couldn't force it.



On April 15, I met a man who would forever change my life.

Jeffrey Spratt, MT, Owner and Principal of Spratt Muscular Therapies LLC was volunteering doing chair massage at One Boston Day. I was also volunteering to support survivors and their families and to donate proceeds of the sale of my book, "Journey Well" to help the survivor community.

I was on a quest to find a massage therapist who would partner with me to go the distance this time so I could move beyond the wall I kept hitting in healing my life from paralytic polio and childhood domestic violence.

I had made an appointment based on what I read on the event flyer and what I saw on his website. The moment I met him on April 15 and he gave me one of his signature hugs, I knew my life was taking a new direction.

The way that Jeffrey works was unlike any other therapist I had ever worked with.

I blogged about the impact that partnering with Jeffrey was having in my life.

I got curious about Jeffrey, his journey and how his unique style evolved. I'm usually pretty quiet during a treatment but before the Harvard Pilgrim 5K, as Jeffrey was coaching me for the race, he mentioned something about being a pilot. Whoa - that stopped me in my tracks and being a journalist at heart I couldn't let that story rest.

I discovered that as Jeffrey talked to me, it facilitated my own healing. There was an energy flowing that inspired me to heal mind, body and Spirit.

A series of coincidences led me to let Jeffrey know that if ever he needed help with writing or the social media aspect of his business, that I'd be happy to help out.

Initially it was a very informal here are my thoughts kind of exchange. Little did I know that it was the Universe's way of having Jeffrey interview me for my new job.

One thing led to another and Jeffrey decided to offer me the position of Communications and Public Relations Director for Spratt Muscular Therapies LLC.

Last week I signed my paperwork so it's official now!

And the puzzle piece fits perfectly this time.

Who better to promote Spratt Muscular Therapies LLC than someone who knows first hand the power of positive quality therapeutic touch...and who believes and understands what Jeffrey has created. For more on this you can read my blog about my experience with "The ShakeOut" one of his signature treatments and my recent treatment which brings home the life changing and life saving work of the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy.

When I was preparing to leave my job at the VA, I wrote out a 30 day journal on yellow legal paper envisioning my life after the VA. It involved dressing up and going to meetings and following my passion as a writer. I have many amazing moments that I hold near and dear in my heart from when I worked at the VA. But I was in the trenches working with our veterans who were suffering and struggling with their lives. After almost 20 years, I wanted to experience being able to get dressed up and being in luxurious surroundings. Coincidentally, Jeffrey works with Emergency Responders to heal their trauma from on the job exposure through massage therapy and offers a discount to Emergency Responders, Active Duty Military, Veterans and their Spouses and teachers.

I had no idea about the how, the what or the when that would manifest.

Yet here I am working with Jeffrey in the Seaport Hotel to spread the word about his life saving, life changing, unique, innovative world class massage therapy practice. Those aren't just words - they are the Truth otherwise I wouldn't be able to partner with him to be his Communications and Public Relations Director. My first love and passion is writing and public relations. I received my BS from Boston University in Public Relations.

Purpose - it's that little flame that lights a fire under your ass. Purpose it keeps you going strong like a car with a full tank of gas...everyone has a purpose so what's mine?

Oh look it's a penny from the year I was born - it's a sign!

I've found my purpose and my passion - look out world - here comes Spratt Muscular Therapies.





No comments:

Post a Comment