Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Soul Lessons Learned in a Crowded Pool

I am so lucky, blessed and grateful to be able to cross train in the pool at WaveHealth.



Many times I am all alone in the pool or there is one or two other people. Sometimes there is a family on the other side of the lap lane. The pool is shared by guests of the Seaport Hotel and members of the health club. We always work everything out.

Last week the pool was crowded as school vacation winds down and more families are traveling now that summer is almost over. The lap lane was free and I'd been swimming outside of the lap lane. When a family arrived, I crossed over into the lap lane. A woman at the other end of the pool said, "Excuse me. I was going to get into the lap lane." Now most places you need to share a lap lane and we are so blessed that most times we don't need to share a lane; even so there is enough space to share a lane. I told her that it was no big deal and I would go on the other side. She made some other snarky comments and I remembered this phrase:



There are often two lap lanes but with the high volume of families and children, there has been only one lap lane in the last month. Today I had the pool all to myself for the first 20 minutes or so. Little by little families - huge families and children of all ages descended into the pool. There was a 12 year old who wanted to share the lane with me. He was doing dolphin dives and not really swimming laps but I had the sense he needed his space from the hectic activity on the other side of the lap lane. An older woman was watching him swim. He stopped a ball from hitting me and also got a kickboard out of our lane. I thanked him for sharing the lane with me and told the older woman who was with him what a wonderful young man he is. They both smiled.

I learned that there is always enough - enough room, enough space and enough time. I focused on my work out and doing what I needed to do as I train for the Bermuda Half Marathon.

I learned that everything is temporary. I could have focused on the noise and the commotion around me feeling that it would go on forever but I knew they wouldn't stay in the pool for the entire time I was there and even if they did I could still take care of my own training needs.

As families left, the pool got quiet. One gentleman took up the noodle I'd been using and asked, "Is this yours?" I said, "Well nothing here is mine. It's here for everyone so please go ahead and use it. I can get another one when I need it." I use the noodle to work on upper body strength with laps and give my legs a rest and use it for planks and pushups in the pool after I do laps.

He thanked me and told me that he has had back pain for the past several weeks. He saw how I was swimming with the noodle and thought it might be good for his back. He ran the Boston Marathon back in 2002 and shared his story with me. He prefers the half marathon distance now. I made some suggestions about how he could use it. He has a doctor's appointment to find out what is going on, but hopes to find a good chiropractor to help. Of course I took the opportunity to share with him my experience with Jeffrey Spratt, MT, Owner and Principal of Spratt Muscular Therapies LLC whose practice is right there in WaveHealth. He asked me a lot of questions about how Jeffrey works, what his training is, how I found my way to him and he said that he was absolutely sold.

One of my pool buddies Greg looked in. The crowds had pretty much dispersed but there were 3 kids in the pool and I was in the lap lane. Greg poked his head in to see if there was room for him to swim. I motioned for him to come in. After he changed he asked me if I was sure that I'd go into the other side of the pool. "Absolutely," I said. I just need to do my static strength training and stretches. Shortly after he got in, my friend Stephanie arrived. We chatted about our training over the weekend and she celebrated my 7 mile milestone with me. Greg asked her if she'd like to share his lane and she said she was fine making a lane where the kids weren't playing. She said that Roy who is at the front desk at WaveHealth and also calls the pool his baby, said that he can always come in and talk to the kids but we agreed that there was no need! We all knew there was enough....

I often see Jeffrey on my way out from my training session but didn't see him today. I had my lunch and sat in the beautiful Plaza garden at the Seaport enjoying the flowers, the trees and the peace after my workout. I went to go to the ladies room on the plaza level and it was locked! Hmmm I thought to myself. That's interesting. I knew I could go to the first floor restrooms but Spirit nudged me to go back into WaveHealth.

Staff there welcome me so warmly whenever I am there and when I explained to them that the restrooms were locked, they said of course I could use the locker room bathroom. Just as I turned to walk down the hall, Jeffrey opened the door to the treatment room.

"Well, well, well," he said. "Speak of the devil."

He gave me one of his signature hugs and told me that he had my referral on his table and was so glad he saw me to thank me today!

When we open our hearts and do not allow whatever is happening around us to disturb us, we are open to the wonder and magic in the Universe knowing and trusting that everything is in Divine Order no matter how chaotic things may appear at times.

As Dr. Joe Dispenza said in What the bleep do we know....
"When I create my day, and out of nowhere, little things happen that are so unexplainable, I know that they are the process or the result of my creation. And the more I do that, the more I build a neural net in my brain and I accept that that's possible. It gives me the power and incentive to do it the next day."




I chronicle the first 7 years of my healing odyssey in "Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility" and continue the journey in "Journey Well." These two inspirational books that will motivate you and move you to tears along with my books of inspirational poetry are available on Amazon.







No comments:

Post a Comment