Tuesday, August 18, 2015

My Running Chronicles: I Can't Believe I'm Doing This Again!

My wonderful FB friend, Nicole Berglund posted this photo last night in response to my saying that Tom and I mapped out our 7 mile run for Saturday:



I carried this image with me as Tom and I went out for our tempo run in heat and humidity. I woke up at 3:30am to go to the bathroom and went back into a deep sleep with some intriguing dreams. When the alarm went off at 6:00am I had to really psych myself up to rise and shine but first Tom and I meditated for 20 minutes. I created my day with affirmations and feeling overwhelming gratitude. I let the birds be the accompaniment to my meditation and went to a place of peace, strength, comfort and ease. I thought about my last treatment with Jeffrey at Spratt Muscular Therapies as his hands got hot while he worked on my legs. "You really want me to run unencumbered don't you?" which was the intention Jeffrey set for me after our first treatment back in April. "And swift and free and with ease," he replied. I commented to him that I noticed his hands got hot while he worked. Early on in our work together Jeffrey said that my deep desire to heal met his energy as a muscular therapist and healer and his hands would get hot as the energy flowed. It's real teamwork!

And speaking of teamwork...Tom and I were in perfect harmony this morning getting ready for our training run. We did our core work, had toast, banana and water, grabbed our ice water, fuel belts, my Nike+ and off we went.

We set the intention that we were going out for a nice tempo run respecting the heat and humidity. Tom knows that I've been clearing out a lot of gunk from the past and wanted to remind me how much fun we have when we just get out there and enjoy a run together.

The first mile was a steamy one but we were able to find our rhythm and comfortable pace. I decided to kick it on mile 2 and was rewarded with a 14:00 minute/mile pace. We modified the route around the Reservoir so we could stay in the shade. We worked in tandem making suggestions for pace and route. Somehow I got this idea in my head that I was going to run hard up the hill leading from the Reservoir. I remembered when I trained for Boston and how our trainer would always challenge us going up that hill. She would have me chase her and would let me "win". We took a water stop at the top of the hill and started to run again. "Whoa not so fast,"my body told me. I told Tom I had to stop for a moment. I was feeling light headed and nauseous. I had pushed hard and totally trusted in my body's ability to recover if I took a moment to cool down. This is the stuff that training runs are made of. So after a few deep breaths and dousing myself with water, we were off for the last .7 of a mile.

As I ran today I experienced thoughts of what I call creative awareness. In addition to the body work I do with Jeffrey, what mind work do I need to do to clear the path for me to run unencumbered? I became aware of the messages I received from the past from so many different sources and how I am in the words of Taylor Swift, shaking them all off with every mile I run.



Part of me is absolutely incredulous that I am training for first a half marathon and then the full Newport Marathon in 2016. There is a part of me that knows, as I train for the Bermuda Half Marathon happening in about 5 months, that this is something I absolutely want and need to do. Just like when I trained for Boston and was repeatedly asked in interviews if I had any doubts that I would cross the finish line, I know I am going to do this with every fiber of my being. I wrote this poem, "Ode to Marathon Training" that is in my recently released, "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life"

Ode to Marathon Training

Blisters, black toes, aches and pains, a change in my routine
Long training runs, the hills, the sprints running clothes fresh and clean.
Carbo load and plan each meal power gels and gatorade
no matter what the weather no time to be afraid.
Humid - hot or freezing cold snow against the face
wind or sun or raining those running shoes I must lace.
What mile is this how long we been out check heart rate drink H20
meltdowns joys and triumphs only a few more weeks to go.
Heartbreak Hill won't break my heart this year has been the best
found myself and made new friends I feel incredibly blessed.


I can't believe I'm doing this again although this time Team McManus is partnering with Spratt Muscular Therapies LLC and we are reclaiming our advantage! This time we are going the distance and are going to be running long, strong, healthy, unencumbered and free!


"Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life" is available on Amazon along with all of my books that will inspire and motivate you!




No comments:

Post a Comment