Monday, August 24, 2015

Falling in love with my life: I won the lottery!



When I was 19 years old I sat in a small windowless room in a courthouse in the Bronx, New York. My father left a financial mess in the wake of his mental illness and alcoholism. We had to declare bankruptcy - well not me per se but my mother - and since she was incapable of going through this process alone, I was the one who represented the family. I was grilled by an attorney who represented the people he owed the largest amount of money to. I was accused of somehow hiding money to not meet his financial obligations. Um no people that's not exactly my style. We had an attorney who eventually stepped in and facilitated the declaration of bankruptcy against my mother and his estate.

But you know what? I have always had enough.

When I was in college, the check from the VA since my father was a deceased veteran always arrived on time.

I had to go on bed rest 8 weeks before our twins were due in 1987. We used our savings and were charging diapers and formula on credit cards that back then were at ridiculously high rates.

Needless to say funds were tight. It did not make sense for me to go back to work and pay for day care with twins so we made do with what we had. One day I decided to get all dressed up and go to Bloomingdale's in Chestnut Hill. As I walked through the doors with my side by side double twin stroller, the feelings of anxiety, depression and feeling overwhelmed melted away as I allowed the luxury of the displays delight my soul. After walking through several departments and miraculously both twins slept peacefully while I was in the store, I decided I was okay and I had enough. I could certainly afford anything I needed. As I looked down, there was a $20.00 bill! I felt as though I had won the lottery.

When I took a leap of faith to leave the VA, I had no idea what our financial future would hold once I gave up the security of a regular paycheck. At first we had my retirement in a savings account but that dwindled and I noticed that the more anxious I became about money, the more things happened that made our finances tighter and tighter. I finally did what had been suggested to me several years before ... to apply for social security disability. Once I let go of my worry, abundance began to flow again.

I kept hitting a wall in my healing journey. I couldn't get beyond my past no matter how hard I tried. I know that each and every step brought me closer and closer to where I am today. I won the lottery the day I began to partner with Jeffrey Spratt, MT, Owner and Principal of Spratt Muscular Therapies LLC. He has hands and a heart that heal. His business tag line is Reclaim Life. Reclaim Advantage. and he brings that intention to the table every treatment I have with him. I am training for another marathon. First up is the Bermuda Half Marathon!

When I went to book our trip, flights were affordable and were departing at the perfect time. The Rosedon Hotel, our beloved hotel on the Island was offering a special rate for Bermuda Marathon International Weekend.

And then there is my husband Tom and my twins Ruth Anne and Autumn...talk about hitting the jackpot.

When it comes to friends, I've won the lottery many times over.



You'll find lottery tickets under the magnet on my refrigerator along with a what to do when you win the lottery article.

You'll find directions from our house to lottery headquarters in our car.

But in truth I am so in love with my life and all of my blessings that I know I've already won the lottery!


I chronicle the first 7 years of my healing odyssey in "Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility" and continue the journey in "Journey Well." These two inspirational books that will motivate you and move you to tears along with my books of inspirational poetry are available on Amazon.



No comments:

Post a Comment