Monday, July 13, 2015

My Running Chronicles: Recipe for Success



After I ran the 2009 Boston Marathon, someone asked me in an interview if I ever doubted that I would be able to go the distance. I never doubted my ultimate success in running 26.2 miles from Hopkinton to Boston. I had a lot of doubts along the way; fears, doubts and worries wondering if I could trust in my body. I ran through Boston with a groin injury and a left shoulder issue. After Boston, cervical spine disease flared.

After taking the fall/winter of 2009 off from running, I came back to the roads in 2010 with a vengeance but I still had my identity as a survivor of paralytic polio and violence. I was able to run PR after PR and felt on many levels amazing but there were a lot of unhealed issues that I wasn't even aware of that I needed to address.

And then 3/4/2011 happened with my nephew's suicide. All those unhealed issues along with habits I used to cope with them roared and reared their head. I was still on a healing quest though and tried many different modalities to heal the pain and suffering. Do you know that I am even a certified yoga teacher? You could leave it at certified and that would be appropriate (said with a smile and a lot of compassion for myself).

So what is different now? What is my recipe for success in going the distance first for the Bermuda Half Marathon in January and the 26.2 in Newport next October?

I realize that healing happens from the inside out and that I needed to return to all of those basic beliefs of healing that I knew when I first set out on this healing voyage 8 1/2 years ago now. Bernie Siegel, MD was my first healing coach back in the 1980's. He talks about the power of Love to heal.

“I am convinced that unconditional love is the most powerful known stimulant of the immune system. If I told patients to raise their blood levels of immune globulins or killer T cells, no one would know how. But if I can teach them to love themselves and others fully, the same changes happen automatically. The truth is: love heals.”
~Bernie Siegel

I wrote this poem that will be included in the soon to be released Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life:


Love is a Four Letter Word

Love is a four letter word
I swear by its healing power
as it pulses and courses through the river of my veins
unstoppable
watering everything in its wake
the garden of my soul.

Love is a four letter word
I bear witness
bare my soul
a breath of fresh air when love
enters a room
love ignites
delights
purges the past
forges the present
a force to be reckoned with
reconciles
unveiling
revealing.

Truth is
I am love
only love
pure and innocent
from Love
Perfection.

Love is a four letter word
the bridge
heaven on earth
all the elements I need to heal
living life as only I can
grateful to be a love.


I got away from writing poetry that focused on my healing journey and was swept up in pleasing others with what I was writing about. Now I am back to writing poetry for me and to help others to Feel the Heal. Words heal and help me to rewire a brain that was affected by polio and violence. It's a very exciting and exhilarating journey.

I believe with all my heart and soul now that complete healing has happened. I am bringing it into the fullness of physical manifestation now. All that I visualized and continue to visualize through poetry and meditation is coming into being. I am creating a new way of Being and a new Body as the temple of my Being.

Through meditation I become aware of thought patterns that belong to the terrified and terrorized 17 year old as life crumbled around her. It is a blessing and a gift to have more and more moments of peace, of freedom, of gratitude and joy as vigilance and terror melt away.

Finding my way to Jeff Spratt, Principal of Spratt Muscular Therapies is a main ingredient in my recipe for success now. He believes, as I do, that all healing is not only a possibility but that total healing has already happened. With positive quality touch, we clear the toxins from the past from my body and I am able to gain clarity and clear the thoughts of fear, worry, doubt from my mind rewiring myself for success - total success in mind, body and Spirit! I notice and imprint what I want to create. I watch it happening before my very inner sight manifesting in the physical world.

Working out and training for races used to be a chore for me. Now that I have shifted perspective and redefined who I am, I embrace the opportunity to work out, to feel sore, to challenge myself and to also luxuriate in my rest and recovery days with weekly treatments with Jeff.

I know this time I am going the distance - not only for 26.2 but also in my marathon of healing. Any twinges, aches or pains beyond the soreness that accompanies marathon training are being interpreted as my body's way of healing. I am focused on the outcome of success, knowing that I call upon the Divine Intelligence within me and around me to be my co-creator of evolution and transformation.

I have a wonderful recipe for success with increasing miles, cross training in the pool at WaveHealth, doing a tempo run one day a week and strength training on land twice/week. I have an incredible sous chef in my life and running partner Tom who is helping me to create this delicious recipe of our lives.

It's sweet and delicious and I taste as I go along to see what I need to add or change to ensure a sumptuous recipe!

Cheers! To success! To life! Love yourself well!

You can find all of my inspirational books on Amazon.






No comments:

Post a Comment