Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Moving Forward



In yesterday's blog, Run it like you own it, I talked about knowing when it was time to move forward from a relationship with my massage therapist for a year. Part of me stayed even though I knew in my heart and gut it wasn't serving me because I couldn't imagine there was someone better for me out there. There was the added dynamic (read drama) of the person who referred me to him.



Interestingly enough, a few weeks before this therapist "took me to task" and was "nudging" me to work with other therapists at and see him only every other week, I had left Aquatics Therapy at Spaulding Rehab.

Once again, the Universe had been giving me signs that it was time for me to move on. Aquatics Therapy served its purpose for me but I was evolving and transforming leaving behind my polio self (although that was not in my consciousness at the time). There were dynamics happening in the class, things being said in the locker room and then one week a stench in the pool that told me it's time to move on.

But where to go?

My first step was our Town pool. It was adequate with kick boards and noodles to do strength training in the pool and on another day do laps but the schedule for open swim didn't really serve me. They also did not allow use of the weights unless you were part of a class. I decided it was time to do strength training on land and do laps once a week. I checked out the Boston College Fit Rec Center because as a spouse of an employee, I was eligible to use the facilities. It didn't feel right to me although I was grateful to have another option.

One evening I needed some distraction and so I was looking at the WaveHealth website. It said that if you entered your email you could get a free week's membership to the Health Club.

When I went in for my treatment with Jeff, I asked Roy at the front desk, who has always been so helpful to me, about the pool. He said that coming in for a morning swim should not be an issue. He always leaves one or two lanes available for members to swim laps. They have kick boards, noodles and weights to use in the pool. I could get a punch card for $125 for 11 visits but Roy suggested I try it out for a week and see what I thought.

It's heaven sent. The locker rooms are consistent with the quality of a 5 star hotel. There is a skylight, trees and pastel colored chairs surrounding the pool. I have always had access to the lap lane when I needed it and most days I have the entire pool to myself!



When I left Spaulding Rehab's Aquatics Therapy classes, I knew Spirit was moving me forward. I couldn't imagine that I'd be using the pool at a 5 Star Hotel in Downtown Boston that is easily accessible and affordable for me. And when I decided that I was going to move forward from working with Joseph, the Universe sent me a talented, warm, caring, compassionate, strong, delightful person in Jeff to partner with me on this leg of my healing journey. The treatment room is warm and inviting.



It's carpeted so I don't hear the sound of the stool being wheeled around the room and the table is adjusted to the proper height so there is no mechanical sound of a table being raised and lowered before, during and after the treatment.

Sometimes we are afraid to move forward; afraid to let go of what is familiar and comfortable to us even though we deserve so much more. But when we find the courage to say wait a minute, this is no longer serving me, the Universe opens doors where once there were only walls and we find ourselves moving forward on a beautiful path that we couldn't have possibly imagined in our wildest dreams. My heart overflows with gratitude to the Universe!



Cheers! To life! Love yourself well!

I chronicle the first 7 years of my healing journey after being diagnosed with post polio syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease as a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and 9 years of childhood domestic violence in Coming Home:A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility.


In Journey Well, the journey continues in the wake of my nephew's suicide on 3/4/11 and the events of 4/15/13. Through my journey of healing and transformation, we learn that no matter what life circumstances happen to us, we can always find a way to journey well.


I am writing "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems," and "Going the Distance," chronicling my journey on the road to the Newport Marathon 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment