Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Feel the Heal: Unencumbered

"I want you to run unencumbered," Jeffrey Spratt, MT, Principal of Spratt Muscular Therapies, LLC said to me after our first treatment together on 4/19/15. He had just met me and knew very little about me other than I experienced paralytic polio and domestic violence as a child. He could feel the congestion that was still in my body. He felt in his heart what I have been working on in my life for the past 8+ years - to experience complete healing, happiness, well-being and freedom.

I had written three poems about feeling unencumbered before I ever met Jeff. They are part of Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life:



The Dancer

Crumpled cringing alone in darkness portrait of paralyzed child
heap of limbs loss of control panic fear run rampant and wild.
Enter stage right he gathers her gentle tears honor old embrace new
beautiful ballerina transformed music swells the pas de deux.
Dancing with Spirit she celebrates lost in moment of time and space
winged feet now poetry in motion joyful light ease and grace.

Daring she enters spotlight center stage a vision to behold
vulnerable yet confident - courageous strikingly bold.
On point to an audience she no longer plays
soul’s rhythm tempo she keeps
magic memories made in each moment
delighting grateful heart leaps.
Her life she now knows has no bounds
choreography her dancing decree
revelations unveiled with each movement
unencumbered expansive now free.

Sweet Victory

On the battlefield of life
when we fight the good fight
with compassion
a heart for a heart
to the victor goes the spoils.

A treasure trove of Truth
scars merely badges of honor
wounds healed
secret weapon of loving kindness
vapors of fear
tears spilled
water bathing the garden of my soul
yielding to joy
as treaty signed with forgiveness
sweet reward of peace.

Lush landscape
fragrant green grass
a winding road leading to everywhere
I run
unencumbered
untethered
strapping and healthy
free to be me
my victory lap.

The Chrysalis

Trembling with excitement
shaking it off
allow yourself to be with a capital B

Being who you were always meant to be
unencumbered

yet time well spent
on tiny legs
grounded to earth’s energy
garnering wisdom along the way

gathering together
possibility

a time of uncertainty
certain
this is the path
abide in darkness
surrender
lose grip on grasping
turning inward
discovering beauty
strength
free now
to
fly


I wrote this poem shortly after I started partnering with Jeff and told him that no, I don't want to be the runner I was before my knee injury ... I want to be a runner. period. Not a mobility impaired runner but a runner who can someday run a 12:00 minute mile. He used the imagery of the god Mercury on winged feet:

Born to Run

Born free
born to run
run free
unencumbered untethered unshackled
pouring energy into my running form
liquid gold once fired in the crucible
now my treasure born of my Spirit molded with alchemy
refining
my precious treasure once buried
the map safely tucked away
X marks the spot
a new starting line.

Poised and ready
to go the distance
all out without hesitation
all is healed at last
my pace swift
Mercury and Hermes pace me on winged feet
I AM
born to run
running free
joyfully crossing the finish line with ease.


This morning, Tom and I went on a training run. Our 5K's on Tuesdays are when we work on speed. It was humid but it was overcast and there was an occasional breeze. We opted for a hillier course than last week. It's so important to change up the route to avoid boredom of mind, body and Spirit. We ran to the Chestnut Hill Reservoir and I left nothing on the roads this morning. It took a lot of effort to run an average 15:04 pace with negative splits all the way and miles 2 and 3 at a 14 and change minute/mile pace but oh what a thrill to be able to run unencumbered and to challenge myself. I took 18 seconds off of last week's run and 6 seconds off of my 5K PR from last year. It's all so wonderful and miraculous to feel the heal and watch everything that I wrote about through my poetry, that was and is my heart's desire come into physical manifestation!

Feel the heal!

I am delighted to be able to share my healing odyssey and my gift of poetry with you in this latest anthology of my poems. You can purchase your copies along with "Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility," and "Journey Well" on Amazon. I have already started writing poems for "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life Volume II", and "Going the Distance" which chronicles these latest miles on my marathon of healing from my knee injury last December to when I cross the finish lines of the Bermuda Half Marathon in January 2016 and the Newport Marathon in October.

Cheers! To Life! Feel the heal and let us all love ourselves well!

No comments:

Post a Comment