Monday, July 20, 2015

Feel the Heal: Come Out and Play



Because of paralytic polio followed by unrelenting violence against my little person, my body did not have a chance to heal from paralytic polio. I was blessed to be able to walk again but wasn't free to run and enjoy my childhood. Lugging a metal leg brace for three years (picture Forrest Gump although mine was only on my left leg) did not bode well for being included in typical childhood games at the park. My cousin once said to me that I was way too serious for an 11 year old. Well I had a lot to be serious about.

Fast forward to the 53 year old me ... my body, mind and soul were withering away, crying out for healing. My life was spiraling downward and I was not going to let that happen to me.

After the diagnosis of post polio syndrome in December of 2006, which I call a life giving diagnosis and in truth any diagnosis can be life giving if that is how we choose to experience it, I got still and asked for Divine Guidance as I wrote about in yesterday's blog, Feel the Heal: Where It All Began.

Poetry began flowing out of me at warped speed. I had to keep pen and paper with me at all times. Now I keep my iPhone and notes with me at all times because you never know when inspiration is going to strike!

From Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life:



One night I had a dream that I came out of my leg brace and was splashing around in the rain much like Gene Kelly did in Singing in the Rain. When I woke up, I penned this poem:

Come Out and Play

Arms flung open wide dancing in the rain
pure abiding joy to feel alive again
healing tears fall and blend in God’s puddle
no time to sit in a corner and huddle
all the old rules driven by fears
washed away now by God’s loving tears
the imprint dad left no longer remains
rain washes away all of the stains
baptized with love, Truth lights my way
the sun shines through on this rainy day
splashing and laughing my heart opens wide
embracing and flowing I’m one with the tide
God takes my hand release the old way
bathe in my glory come out and play!


When I wrote this I had absolutely no idea of the when, how or what would happen to bring this into physical manifestation. I know I felt amazing while writing the poem and imagining how I would feel to be out of my leg brace, dancing and singing feeling happy and free.

Almost 40 years ago now, God sent me a wonderful playmate in my husband Tom. We have weathered many storms together but now we are having the time of our lives singing and dancing in the rain going on destination runcations and experiencing happiness, peace and joy together as we train for the Bermuda Half Marathon in January and then will move onto 26.2 next October. He told me it was a no-brainer when the team at Spaulding Rehab told me I needed to quit my job if we were going to stabilize the symptoms where they were but told me to be prepared for a progression of the symptoms ultimately requiring a wheelchair. We now run side by side, stride by stride enjoying every mile of the journey. We cross train together and enjoy our healthy lifestyle.

God sent me Jeffrey Spratt, MT principal of Spratt Muscular Therapies, LLC whose hands are erasers that move out all of the bad stuff that happened to me to create space for that luscious, decadent Divine energy to flow - unencumbered. Chronic fatigue and pain are gone! I feel invincible and I feel that the world is my oyster - at 61 years old! He is a great sports massage therapist and a healer in every sense of the word!

This morning I did my cross training in the pool at WaveHealth. While it is hard work to train for endurance events, I felt a sense of play and enjoyment as I went through my 2 hour workout. A bonus today was seeing someone I had seen in May before Boston's Run to Remember in the pool. Her first half marathon was in Bermuda in January. She gave the low down on the course and next week is going to share the photos she took while running the race that are in her phone. She is training for a Sprint Tri and is trying to wrap her head around the swim portion of the competition. We inspired each other.

I am so blessed and grateful that I now feel the heal and no longer need to hide or feel shame or embarrassment about my past or about my body. It's time for me to come out and play.

Won't you join me?

I am delighted to be able to share my healing odyssey and my gift of poetry with you in this latest anthology of my poems. You can purchase your copies along with "Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility," and "Journey Well" on Amazon. I have already started writing poems for "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life Volume II", and "Going the Distance" which chronicles these latest miles on my marathon of healing from my knee injury last December to when I cross the finish lines of the Bermuda Half Marathon in January 2016 and the Newport Marathon in October.

Cheers! To Life! Feel the heal and let us all love ourselves well!

No comments:

Post a Comment