Monday, June 8, 2015

My Running Chronicles: Smiles for Miles on Castle Island

On Saturday, Tom and I decided to take our training run to Castle Island.

I had in my mind's eye an average pace of less than a 16 minute/mile. I felt strong and confident in my run. Tom usually power walks beside me but he decided to run by my side. It had a magical effect on me. While I didn't break a 16 minute mile although I don't know for sure this wasn't the case because my Nike+ froze at 2.11 miles, I did feel a shift inside of me as I ran.

We saw members of our L Street Running Club and exchanged smiles and warm greetings. There were people I'd never met before who made eye contact with me and we smiled. We instinctively gave thumbs up to each other as we passed each other on the loop.

Tom noticed how my pace, my breathing and my overall stride is improving. I feel as though I am running and living my life with a clean slate and now have a wonderful training program in place. A long run on Saturday, strength training on Sunday, swimming at Wave Health and Fitness on Mondays, strength training on Tuesdays, a 5K run on Wednesdays. Thursdays are weekly muscular therapy treatments with Jeff Spratt of Spratt Muscular Therapies and rest and recover day. Fridays I do a brief core workout in the morning and then take a rest day.

I can feel that I am coming from a different place as an endurance runner. My fear of injury is gone knowing that I have the power of my thoughts and intentions to create my body as a runner. I can feel that I am beginning to run more efficiently as I need to take fewer water stops. I am willing to push myself a little farther and a little faster.

My Nike+ did start up again when we were almost finished with the run. I asked Tom if he would do an all out sprint to the finish. When we stopped I saw my Nike+ recorded a pace of a 13 minute/mile for that brief sprint. My body felt comfortable at the 4 mile distance and I didn't want to stop but I am sticking to my training plan of 4 miles until after my race on 7/3. Feeling comfortable at the distance, I can work on speed.

I can do this!

I remember myself in 2010 when I crushed PR after PR. I remember running the Tufts 10K in 2008 finishing way ahead of the pace I had set for myself.

I focus on goals and visualizing being my personal best in all arenas of my life and not settling for less. However that manifests on the time clock is fine with me. The joy is in the journey and I believe with my whole heart that:



and



I feel so much joy running again and training for a couple of races and then going the distance in the 2016 Newport Marathon.

I'm learning so much about myself on this wondrous journey leaving my old world and my old self behind. Each run supports me to transform into the wonderful amazing woman I was always meant to be. Healing happens especially when there are smiles for miles on Castle Island.



Cheers! To life! Love yourself well!

I chronicle the first 7 years of my healing journey after being diagnosed with post polio syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease as a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and 9 years of childhood domestic violence in Coming Home:A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility.


In Journey Well, the journey continues in the wake of my nephew's suicide on 3/4/11 and the events of 4/15/13. Through my journey of healing and transformation, we learn that no matter what life circumstances happen to us, we can always find a way to journey well.


50% of book proceeds from all of my books, available on Amazon are donated to the Arredondo Family Foundation whose mission is to provide a helping hand to those experiencing a tragedy and to provide education on matters relating to military, veterans, military families, and the issue of suicide.

I am working on my new book, Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems which brings together my best poems of the last 8 years and will include my latest poems as I continue to feel the heal and move forward in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment