Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Running IS my therapy and Everything is Possible!



Once I put my mind to getting back on the roads after my knee injury wake up call back in December, I knew that nothing was going to stop me from getting back to the sport that has become my therapy and a way of life.

"As every runner knows, running is about more than just putting one foot in front of the other; it is about our lifestyle and who we are."
Joan Benoit Samuelson

I didn't realize that when you set a Distance Run on Nike+, it automatically increases the mileage by a quarter mile. I had done a 2.25 mile run last Saturday and was planning to keep the same distance but the Universe had other plans for me. As Nike+ announced the halfway point of my run, I realized I was going to do 2.5 miles.

It was raining and snowing when I first started out and then the precipitation stopped. I parked my car at Cleveland Circle and did an out and back route on Beacon Street along the Boston Marathon course. I ran from the inside out not giving pace a second thought. I let my mind go to where it needed to go.

I was reflecting on this last year's journey with Joseph at Sollievo Massage and Bodywork. I felt gratitude overflow in my heart for the miracle of healing and the beautiful transformation that has happened in my life. I thought about what I wanted to focus on next in my healing journey.

I used to say that I had tremors but through my work with Joseph, I changed the language to say that I sometimes experience shaking. I imagined how it would feel to have energy flow smoothly through my arms to my hands and also up and down my spine to my cranium.

As I was running along the stretch of road that I conquered in 2009 to run 26.2 miles from Hopkinton to Boston, I got curious. What is it that causes me to shake sometimes?

And then the awareness hit me like a thunderbolt. I was face to face with the people who tried to overpower me, oppress me, violate me in every imaginable way. I felt the fear and the anger and then I felt the power that I experience when I run connected to my soul and to the Universe.

I felt deep in my soul that I don't have to shake anymore; it's a habitual response to the horrific events that happened in my life and I have the power to change that response. It might take time and practice but I will get there! Underneath the KT Tape from Dr. Ryan, I felt that the osteoarthritis was melting away and all of the "structural damage" evident on MRI was healed.

In last Thursday's treatment with Joseph as he moved through the Zero Balancing protocol, I realized there was no damage and I don't live with the late effects of paralytic polio. The door opened to a portal of possibility.

Coincidentally two people, one of whom is my chiropractor Dr. Ryan of Elevate Health Cambridge, brought the book, "You are the Placebo" to my attention. I've begun to read it and realize that yes everything is possible. And when I am out on the roads, I am able to get in touch with myself, cultivating awareness of habits that no longer serve me and can leave my old self out on the roads. I pave the way to embrace myself as I was always meant to be.

I felt joy and freedom as I allowed tears to flow; the sadness of the realization of all that happened to me yet tears of joy to know that I have the power now to change and to heal. I had no knee pain and my pace was 16'27". It was faster than last Friday's run by 1'21" seconds/mile and that was with rolling hills. As I have done throughout these past 8 years of my healing odyssey, I harness the power of visualization to be as I want to be; not to be the creation of paralytic polio and violence. And as my feet pound the pavement, I find myself over and over and over again ... and I discover my utter perfection and that everything is indeed possible.


The true runner is a very fortunate person. He has found something in him that is just perfect.
- George Sheehan, MD

Journey well!

My latest book, "Journey Well" is now available on Amazon along with all of my inspirational books. 50% of book proceeds are donated to the Massachusetts Resiliency Center, a safe, welcoming space for survivors of the Boston Marathon bombing to heal and stay in touch with one another; a virtual hub for a widely dispersed community whose lives have been impacted by the tragic events of April 15th and the events that followed.

When terror struck the world's oldest and most beloved marathon on April 15, 2013, it was a defining moment in Mary McManus’ life and the lives of all those in Boston and around the world. It was her wake up call to return to the sport and community that have been medicine and a lifeline for her throughout her marathon of healing the late effects of paralytic polio and experiencing 9 years of domestic violence as a child and adolescent. Mary captures the essence of Boston Strong through her experience of the 2014 Boston Marathon and as she profiles the people who are Boston Stronger. Through her blog posts, poems and journal entries woven together with excerpts from her memoir, “Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility,” you will experience, through one woman’s journey of transformation and healing, that no matter what happens to us, we can all learn to journey well.



No comments:

Post a Comment